11.16.2011

footprints in the sand.

This poem is really well know, but I thought I would still post it here because 
it has played such a significant role in my life.


One night a man had a dream. He dreamed He was walking along the beach with the LORD. 
Across the sky flashed scenes from His life. 
For each scene He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. 
One belonging to Him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of His life flashed before Him, 

he looked back at the footprints in the sand. 
He noticed that many times along the path of His life there was only one set of footprints. 
He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of His life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. 

LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. 
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! 

During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, 
it was then that I carried you.


-Carolyn Carty, 1963


Was 14 when I got that tattoo on my left foot, I had just started to walk with the Lord.
But I had read that poem over and over and over again since I was in kindergarten or first grade. 
It was written in really delicate calligraphy over a picture of a beautiful beach with rocks like you find up north and footprints on the sand. It hung in the bathroom of my Grandma Judy's house, 
where I lived for about 4 years as a young girl.

I remember every time I was brushing my teeth before bed I would look at it, I would quickly read over it and feel comfort, an odd sense of security and peace, but I didn't understand it.


My parents had left when I was 3, to serve a 7 year sentence in federal prison.
I don't have any recollection of hearing about God during those years.
And although I was reading this poem and I suppose at some level believing it was true, I was too young to comprehend what it meant and was never told what it meant to "follow" Him. 


It wasn't until I was 14, a freshman in High School that I can recall being introduced to the Good News. 
And when I heard it, it clicked, I thought of the poem that had produced feelings of security for me for years.
I looked back over all the pain I had suffered in my seemingly short life: the abandonment, the abuse, the loneliness, the broken promises, the unmet hopes... all of it. 
And I KNEW that although I hadn't know God, He had known me, and he had carried me


I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds [...]
Your path led through the sea, 
your way through the mighty waters, 
though your footprints were not seen"
-Psalm 77: 11-12 & 19




I rejoice in this biblical truth still, when I look down at that tattoo I am reminded that he carries me. 




I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
-John 14:18

"...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..."
-Jeremiah 29:11


"Because he loves me," says the LORD, 
"I will rescue him; 
I will protect him, 
for he acknowledges my name. 
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble, 
I will deliver him and honor him. 
With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."
-Psalm 91:14-16 


I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds [...]
Your path led through the sea, 
your way through the mighty waters, 
though your footprints were not seen"
-Psalm 77: 11-12 & 19
 

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Beautiful!

hope in high heels said...

Thanks for sharing your story... gave me goosebumps.

www.hopeinhighheels.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...