10.07.2011

Gluten Free Friday.

Before we get to talking about food, I need some help from you...
I've been looking at red lipsticks for a while but just couldn't get up the nerve to make the plung and choose one... its a hard choice!
Red red?
or pink red?
maybe orange red?
Well I finally did it. After work today I picked up my newest addition to my Revlon collection-- Kiss Me Coral.



What do you think?? Good choice or no?

Ok, back to the gluten free post-
First off, I am not gluten intolerant, I am allergic to wheat. What's the difference you ask?
Mainly, that wheat is a grass and that gluten is a protein found within wheat. I am allergic to the wheat not just the protein.
"Wheat free" is not very common, people usually haven't heard of it, and it is just easier for me to say that I'm gluten free, as well as, there are very few products marketed as "wheat free" much more commonly are "gluten free" items.

All that to say I will be posting gluten free recipes here on Fridays.

So here's our first recipe-- Nicholas and i love this dinner!
I got it from my sweet friend Cassie (from the Koop Life) and just adapted it by making it with rice pasta.

Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Pasta
what you need:

onions
garlic
sage
thyme
olive oil (i use grape seed oil)
2 lbs butternut squash
2 c. chicken broth
8-10 oz. goat cheese
1 package rice pasta
1-2 c. grated parmesan (if you are not lactose-free; which we are)
salt and pepper (to taste)

___________________________________________________________________________________
1. Saute the first 4 ingredients in olive oil/grape seed oil for 2-4 minutes (don't let brown).
2. Add the b-nut squash and the chicken broth (it will be soupy) and let it boil until soft (about 20 minutes).
3. Just before the b-nut squash is done cook your pasta according to directions.
4. When the b-nut squash is cooked through at the cubed goat cheese (sauce will be creamy).
5. Combine pasta with b-nut squash mixture (add parmesan if using) and salt and pepper--ENJOY!

Here are a few pictures...

Unfortunately I can't find the one of the finished pasta but its beautiful! I love butternut squash!

If you try out this recipe tell me what you think of it... and let me know if you have any suggestions or requests for next Friday!

6 comments:

Ahn said...

love the color. think it's great with your olive skin and dark eyes.

Beba said...

I like the color! Would love to see you in a true red... and can I just say, "I had no idea you wore lipstick, but you wear it well!" xoxo Mom

Kristen Pope said...

Thanks!
I just started to wear it this summer when I saw the J.Crew magazine that was filled with girls wearing fun bright colors. Before that I only wore Bobby Brown in 'bare' on special occasions (which is my exact lip color--haha but I felt grown up to put it on).

Unknown said...

I think you could totally pull of the red! It would look great! I used to be allergic to gluten as well. There are so many more options than there used to be!

Jen said...

I think the red looks RAVISHING!!!!

Lauren said...

I'm a little late with this one... but I LOVE that color on you! You can totally pull it off.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...